Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Favorite Christmas Present from my Childhood

As a child of about 8 or 9 years old, we did not have video games.  Our play was imaginary but exciting.  The two primary types of programming in movies and on TV were Westerns and War Movies.   Every young boy would imagine himself a cowboy or even a gunslinger.  One of my favorite gifts of all time was a matching set of Mattel Shootin' Shell 45 cap pistols.   These were very authentic revolver like pistols that had spring loaded shells with plastic bullets.  A cap was placed on the rear of the casing.  As a realistic revolver, 6 shells could be loaded.  When the shells were loaded, the gun could be fired either by pulling the trigger, or by fanning on the oversized cocking mechanism.   A firing pin would strike the cap and make the bang sound, and the plastic bullet would be launched through the barrel about 15 feet with some accuracy.   Such guns would never be tolerated today.   They were way too realistic.   But that was a different time.

In my imagination, I would face down another gun slinger and draw.   I was pretty good.   I would even imagine myself participating as my favorite song would come on the radio  El Paso by Marty Robbins.   Of course it was the gun fighting that was the attraction, not the girly stuff. 

  In one of my favorite episodes of Bat Masterson one of the characters pulled out a small derringer (small concealed single shot gun)  

My Shootin Shell holster came with a  belt buckle, that had a derringer as part of the design.   When you would stick out your stomach, the derringer was released and would swivel out and fire one of the shootin' shell bullets.  THIS WAS THE COOLEST THING EVER!!

ShootinShell 45 with Derringer

No comments: