Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Story Time

One of my favorite activities with my grandchilren is making up and telling them stories on the fly. You never know how the story will end, or what will happen. The last time I got to do this was last summer in our back yard, Madison and Carter camped out in the back yard with me, and we had treats and watched a movie projected on a sheet on the patio. They wanted to see another movie, but it was getting late so I told them a story. I can't remember how it went or how it ended, but I know it included a little boy and girl camping with their Grandpa. They always seem to want another story afterward.

I am not going to tell one of my own stories here today, but I am including a story for my younger grandchilren that I found on the web. So for my grandchilren and children with love:

Pirates Treasure
Written by Carol Moore
Illustrated by Aura Moser









"Ten steps from the porch and twenty steps from the rose bushes," growled Bluebeard in Jimmy's dream one night. "There be treasure there! Aawrgh

So the next day Jimmy began to dig. He dug until the hole was deep and the dirt pile was high.











He kept digging. The hole got deeper and the dirt pile got higher.










He dug until the hole was deepest and the dirt pile was at its highest.












He sighed. "I'm too tired. I can't dig anymore." Then he spied something...
...but it was only one of Woofy's bones. Instead of treasure, all Jimmy had was a dog bone, a hole, and a big pile of dirt to fill it in with. He thought "That pirate lied to me!"












But when Jimmy's mother saw what he had done, she clasped her hands and smiled a smile from here to Sunday. "Oh, thank you, Jimmy. I always wanted a rhododendron bush planted just there. Here's $5.00 for digging that hole."







~ The End ~ ~

1 comment:

Mike and Kelly said...

Thank you Grandpa, we loved that camping experience in your back yard. Your stories are the best! We can't wait to hear the next one! We love you so much and we miss you. We hope you have a great Father's Day.

Love,

Madison and Carter